Saturday, August 17, 2013

There is no excusing abuse



Dear Ms. Watson,

I have been a fan for years, now. In fact, it’s been nearly six years since I first found The Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe. I was going through what could euphemistically have been called, “a difficult time.” I had considered myself a Skeptic ever since reading “The Demon Haunted World” sometime about 1997, but hadn’t really gotten into the community much more than purchasing the occasional “Skeptic” or “Skeptical Inquirer” magazine until this difficult time. I would say that in part being able to at the very least consider myself a member of this greater community helped me to cope, and because of that I became emotionally attached to prominent members such as yourself and the other rogues.

I have dealt with depression through most of my life, and about that time had come to the lowest point I had yet experienced and attempted suicide. While recovering, I realized that letting my brain idle often contributes to ruminating on the negative thoughts, which does not help in getting better. So I decided to try listening to this newfangled thing called podcast, and I was hooked. I binged on the SGU as well as others until I was caught up, and now I find myself eagerly anticipating Saturdays.

I remember watching the video you made talking about being propositioned in an elevator and chuckled to myself about how clueless guys can be. I remember being floored by the trolling you got after that. I still can’t believe how horribly Richard Dawkins behaved toward you. I guess that in many ways I had just gone along with the so called post-sexism meme and assumed that skeptics were better at being inclusive in this respect.

A lot of self-identified skeptics are also self-identified as nerds/geeks. The latter identity has experienced a great deal of bullying and harassment. At the very least, one might expect that people with such a background would be empathetic toward other groups that have been treated badly, but I have known that quite the opposite can be true. It is a bitter twist of irony that people who themselves have been othered will resort similar behavior toward other groups. I am deeply sorry to admit that I’ve done so in my past. Rather than minimize what I have done I choose to hold myself to a higher standard. I cannot atone for what I may have done, but I can do whatever it takes to make the world better.

It is all too easy for people to jump in and make a situation all about them, and I know that I must not check myself. While I can’t equate my experiences with any woman who has been assaulted, threatened, or harassed, I do know what it’s like to be attacked. I have dreaded the taunts, the shame of feeling powerless. Knowing that anyone experiences so much worse cuts deeply into my psyche to the point that I might despair. Knowing that anything I could do about it is such a pathetic drop in the ocean is nearly overwhelming.

But I do know from my own experiences is that the pain and suffering would have been eased, if only minutely, if only someone had simply spoken a quiet word of support. It needn’t have been public, much less in full view of my tormentors. A simple token of solidarity would have been amazing. Yet it is the fear of being put under the scrutiny of a bully that stays us from action. Self-preservation seems to be too strong an instinct when compared to a general sense of fairness and justice. I have stood by myself, have even contributed to such abuse.

I can no longer accept that in myself or others. I will not remain in the shadows while people like you are treated to horribly. The very least I can do is express my support for you and people like you. And so to you and everyone going through this, and to those who make a stand against deplorable behavior, and to those who suffer quietly, hoping just to get through another day, I say:

You make this world better. You deserve better. You did nothing wrong. You are not the one who is broken. You are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment